If you are looking for books to nudge your architectural and photographic creativity, or to boost your political knowledge, then this list is something you should see. CriticPick has compiled a list of books that’ll help you learn a lot about architecture, politics, and photography, whilst allowing you to feast your eyes on the aesthetical beauty showcased in the images published in the books.
Best architecture books
While you need to view a building to fully experience its magnificence and see workers in action to understand the hard work it takes to create an architectural masterpiece; books can be great at giving you the basic know-how of how our favourite architectural jewels were created. The list below showcase some of the books that all architecture enthusiasts would enjoy.
Best architectural books by ratings and recommendations:
- Four Walls and a Roof: The Complex Nature of a Simple Profession
- Postmodern Design Complete: Design, Furniture, Graphics, Architecture, Interiors
- Frank Lloyd Wright Paper Models: 14 Kirigami Buildings to Cut and Fold
- You Say to Brick: The Life of Louis Kahn
- Entryways of Milan – Ingressi di Milano
- Design for Good: A New Era of Architecture for Everyone
Best politics books
The tricky world of politics — the history, scandal, compromises and international relations are all that run our world today. Politics is a very interesting read if you want to understand the governance and running of our countries on a national and international level. If so, then you should give the books we have listed below a shot.
Best politics books by ratings and recommendations:
- Madame President: The Extraordinary Journey of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
- We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Locking Up Our Own: Crime and Punishment in Black America
- The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America
- An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back
- I Was Told to Come Alone: My Journey Behind the Lines of Jihad
Best photography books
Photography is an art form that allows both the person who is taking and viewing the photograph look at the world from a different perspective. You can look at things from a bird’s eye view, in a different light or simple by focusing solely on one object. Being a work of art, a photograph tells a lot about the place it was taken, the person who has taken it, the moment that it has forever captured and the story behind it.
You can’t expect to fully understand photography from a book, but it will help you understand it better. It will make you aware of the different techniques and practices you need to know about, to explore photography as a subject. Therefore, if you are passionate about photography or want to jumpstart a career in that field then you have to read the books we have named here.
Best photography books by ratings and recommendations:
- Buzzing at the Sill by Peter van Agtmael
- Deep Springs by Sam Contis
- The New Paris by Lindsey Tramuta
- Monsanto: A Photographic Investigation
- Stephen Shore: Selected Works, 1973-1981
- Welcome to Camp America: Inside Guantánamo Bay